Re: pthread_join() problem

On Jun  2 23:01, David Stacey wrote:
> I'm trying to get Poco[1] working under Cygwin, and have hit a
> problem with the way it manages its threads. A short example
> (attached) shows what's going on.
>
> Poco creates a global object that is used for managing various
> threads. In the destructor, the class calls pthread_join() to wait
> for the threads to finish. This works in Fedora (and presumably
> other Linux variants), but under Cygwin this call never returns.
> Note that the object is global, and so pthread_join() is being
> called after main() has returned and the global variables are being
> mopped up.
>
> In the attached example, the problem only exists if the
> 'thread_container' object is global. When run in this way,
> pthread_join() never returns and the programme locks up. If
> 'thread_container' is moved local to main() then the programme works
> correctly. Sadly, I can't make such a trivial fix to the Poco code,
> which rather relies on this object being global.
>
> The attached example (and indeed Poco) runs fine under Fedora 18
> x64, but locks up on Cygwin (32-bit; haven't tried 64-bit). Problem
> exists with a vanilla cygwin-1.7.18-1 and the most recent snapshot
> (2013-06-02).

Thanks for the simple testcase!

I tracked this down to a problem in the process exit handling which
disallowed pthreads to exit when process exit was in progress (and
running the global destructors is part of the process exit).  I fixed
that in CVS.

I'm just uploading a 2013-06-03 snapshot to http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
as well as generating a 1.7.9-10 cygwin package for the 64 bit test
distro.  Please give either one of them a try, especially with poco.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat