Re: vim-7.3.943-1 missing command 'let g:colors_name = "elflord"' found in vim-common-7.3.943-1

Gary Johnson <garyjohn <at> spocom.com> writes:

> This is not a bug.  See Yaakov's announcement in the list on May 12,
> "[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: vim-7.3.943-1".  He explains that the
> packaging scheme has been changed and that /usr/bin/vi is now Vim
> compiled with the "small" feature set.  The "small" feature set does
> not include the +syntax or +eval feature and does not support either
> the :syntax or :let command.

Not a bug maybe but a strange thing to do. I just installed a completely
unrelated package (p7zip) which just happened to drag in the latest version
of vim. Suddenly I start seeing these E319 messages and the syntax
highlighting has gone. Luckily I found the answer here via Google but I bet
you're going to see a lot more people hit by this!

Cheers,

Dave