Re: /dev/sdb permission denied

Larry Hall (Cygwin <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> On 4/8/2013 12:04 PM, andrei wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Running version 1.7.17-1
> >
> > Trying to $ dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/null count=10 - compact flash card in
the
> > PC CF card reader.
> >
> > Running above command displays: dd: opening `/dev/sdb': Permission
denied

> > Searched for solutions, but could not find anything to solve.  Also
tried
> > running cygwin as administrator but still the same problem.
> >
> > Do I have to mount the /dev/sdb or it is not required in later versions
> > anymore?
>
> No, you don't.  Have you seen this FAQ entry?
>
> <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-
posixdevices>

> What's the result of 'ls /dev/sd*'?

Hello Larry,

result of 'ls /dev/sd*':

$ ls /dev/sd*
/dev/sda   /dev/sda2  /dev/sdb1  /dev/sdc1  /dev/sdd1  /dev/sde1
/dev/sda1  /dev/sdb   /dev/sdc   /dev/sdd   /dev/sde

according to <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-
specialnames.html#pathnames-posixdevices> I should have /dev/shm and
/dev/mqueue and possibly other directories in the /dev directory?

$ cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

    8     0 312571224 sda
    8     1 301684603 sda1
    8     2  10884037 sda2
    8    16   1000944 sdb
    8    32         0 sdc
    8    48         0 sdd
    8    64         0 sde

the above shows the 1gig CF card is detected and has 'sdb' assingend to it.

so it looks like the problem is that I'm missing /dev/shm and /dev/mqueue -
is this correct? what can be done to solve

thanks,
andrei