Re: Run windows script remotely using Cygwin?

Hi Gokulnath,

On 3/13/2013 3:30 AM, Gokulnath Arjunan wrote:
Hi,

Below is my setup.

Windows servers 2008 which is running some jboss applications.
I have Cygwin installed with SSH setup
I can login to windows server from any other linux machine using ssh.

Use case: I am able to run the dos scripts using cygwin on the machine
and it is opening the dos command window (process window which runs
jboss application)
                 I am able to run the same dos script from remote
machine (linux) and it is triggering the process in the background (i
cannot see process windows on windows machines)

Requirement: I wanted to run the dos script remotely but i need to
open the process window instead of background process.

How can i achieve this using Cygwin? Do i need additional plugin for this?

i think i had a similar problem and solved it by using the screen utility.

If you have a little script started automatically when you log-in to the GUI, this
script runs in the context of your GUI session and therefore can open windows.
In my case i use the screen utility to have that script run without any mintty window
or DOS box open all the time.
Now when you log-in via ssh from the Linux box, instead of running the dos-script
directly, you send some signal to the script in your GUI session, that tells it to run
the dos-script.

With 'signal' i do not necessarily mean the kill command, but probably some
other means of IPC. E.g. a pipe file, or just touching a certain file from the ssh
session (touch command), so that the script in the GUI session knows, that
when this file exists, it should run the dos-script and delete that file.

HTH,
Herbert