Re: X11 capturing DISPLAY value

Thanks, but I don't like hard coding something important like that.  It might work most of the time, in my case it wouldn't work, my X-window comes up as ":1" and it appears sometimes as ":0", but mainly one, but if more people were on the machine it cou
ld be other values as well.

You're right about the background takes time, I'll attempt coordination the timing better and try it.

Thanks

Eliot Moss <moss@cs.umass.edu> wrote:
> On 3/10/2013 6:17 PM, wynfield@gmail.com wrote:
> > I wanted to capture the X11 DISPLAY value that shows on the console when 'startx &' in invoked and successful.  I've tried:
> >
> >   startx 2>&1 | grep DISPLAY\= >/tmp/xwin.txt &
> >   startx 2>&1 | grep DISPLAY >/tmp/xwin.txt &
> >
> > but neither worked.  I could check files in /tmp/.X11-unix/* for date, owner, etc, and hope that the newest one is the right one and extract the number from the name, however if another user started an X window in the meantime I'd get the wrong DISPL
AY v