Re: Follow up regarding setup.exe hanging

On 3/10/2013 10:31 AM, d.henman wrote:
Now when ran with the proper permissiong, setup.exe still hangs.  Here is the output just before setup.exe hangs:
-------------------------------- start
$c/cygwin-packages/setup -q -n -D -K http://cygwin.com/setup.exe.sig  -l C:\cygwin-packages  -R C:\cygwin  -s http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/cygwin   -P openssh
Starting cygwin install, version 2.774
User has backup/restore rights
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/net-proxy-host) failed 2 No such file or directory
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/net-proxy-port) failed 2 No such file or directory
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/extrakeys) failed 2 No such file or directory
Current Directory: C:cygwin-packages
Could not open service McShield for query, start and stop. McAfee may not be installed, or we don't have access.
Selected local directory: C:cygwin-packages

I have no idea about what the reference to "McShield" or to "McAfee" is about. All I can think of is that it is proprietary software that I don't own and Mr. McAfee is in South America somewhere.  Is the absence of this causing setup.exe to go crazy and
hang?

Any advice to get this working would be appreciated.

While running 'setup.exe' from a Cygwin shell may require you to reboot before you see the results of your update, if you are going to do this, you should at least use '/' instead of '\' for path separators. Better yet, use POSIX path notation. Alternatively, run 'setup.exe' directly from an elevated cmd.exe instance if you prefer DOS path syntax.

--
Larry