Re: Is this a bug or a behavior?

On 2/15/2013 12:29 AM, Centrych Administrator wrote:

<snip>

How can it ever be consistent while 'filename' and filename.exe' are allowed
to exist in the same directory?

Is there some way to differentiate between a Windows .exe and a Cygwin
binary, like grep.exe, that's intended to execute within the Cygwin
environment?

I believe these questions are the crux of your inquiry so I've stripped out the surrounding details. Apologies if you feel I've removed something you feel is a significant point.

This goes to the heart of a difference between how Windows and Linux treat
executables and various ingrained assumptions both make about their
respective expectations (essentially what Adam said ;-) ).  Cygwin does try
to bridge this gap but it has its limits as well.  This is actually not
new issue and has been discussed many times in the past on this list.  If
you're interested in the details or, even better, in improving what's
currently implemented, I'd recommend reviewing previous discussions, the
ideas they generated, and the issues and limitations mentioned.  That
should help you understand the current state and provide you with an
informed basis if you want to take a swing at providing some patch.

The only short answer I can give you is that the current state is a compromise. That doesn't mean there isn't a better one. Just that it's
a complicated area for many reasons so getting to a better state is also
complicated.

--
Larry