Re: cygwin:the /usr/share directory

On 1/31/2013 5:55 AM, ping wrote:
On 1/30/2013 10:21 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 1/30/2013 10:14 PM, ping wrote:
hi experts:
I'm recently running out of disk and , it looks simply the /usr/share
occupies around 5G .

[ping@ping-new-laptop usr]$ du -sh ./share/
4.4G    ./share/

I'm thinking to remove this directory to release some space. but not sure if this will affect the whole cygwin from running properly. or, if I can remove part of the contents, what is the minimum packages that I need to keep there?

Mine is less than .5G so you apparently have allot more packages installed than I do (or you have one/some that generate allot more info in there). I'd recommend removing packages you're not using before trying to clean out any corresponding directories. Doing a "du -sh ./share/*" should give you a good overview of which directories contain the most stuff and help you target which packages you may consider removing.

attached is the package lists under share, I don't understand why I have
so many packages (over 10k)...
there is no way to determine which one I can remove an which ones I
can't...

have you installed everything ? My system that is "very" large have only

cd /usr/share
$ find . -type d |wc -l
5556
subdirectories on /usr/shares

$ cygcheck -c -d |wc -l
870

installed packages.

First suggestion to save easily space: looks on the directory
where you have setup and remove the download cache directories
fttp* and/or http*
probably you can save several gigas already there.
On my lighter system:

$ du -hs *
80M ftp%3a%2f%2fftp.cygwinports.org%2fpub%2fcygwinports%2f
18M http%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2fcygwin%2f
570M http%3a%2f%2fwww.mirrorservice.org%2fsites%2fsourceware.org%2fpub%2fcygwin%2f

After, start removing application that you are surely not using, development lib not needed , compiler for language not interesting for you

I suggest to use "setup" and at "Select packages" go to the
"Category" view  (click few times on the view button)

and start to remove all programs in categories you are not using

Games, Math, Database, Gnome, KDE, .. ?
Don't touch Base of course

On the "up to date" view looks for fonts, development libs, documentation (texlive-collection-documentation-* is available
in all languages and they are very large)
you are not using.

You only know what are you doing with cygwin, and decide
what you do not need.

Don't be afraid to remove too much, if something is needed
for other programs you have not decided to remove setup
will advise you before the removal and suggest to maintain.

Regards Marco