Re: cygwin:the /usr/share directory

On 1/30/2013 10:21 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 1/30/2013 10:14 PM, ping wrote:
hi experts:
I'm recently running out of disk and , it looks simply the /usr/share
occupies around 5G .

[ping@ping-new-laptop usr]$ du -sh ./share/
4.4G    ./share/

I'm thinking to remove this directory to release some space. but not sure if
this will affect the whole cygwin from running properly.
or, if I can remove part of the contents, what is the minimum packages that
I need to keep there?

Mine is less than .5G so you apparently have allot more packages installed
than I do (or you have one/some that generate allot more info in there).
I'd recommend removing packages you're not using before trying to clean
out any corresponding directories. Doing a "du -sh ./share/*" should
give you a good overview of which directories contain the most stuff and
help you target which packages you may consider removing.

attached is the package lists under share, I don't understand why I have so many packages (over 10k)...
there is no way to determine which one I can remove an which ones I can't...