Re: sshd service will not start on Windows 7

On 1/30/2013 9:13 AM, David Carricajo wrote:
On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM, misterblinky <misterblinky@yahoo.com> wrote:

So ... a) cyg_server *is* in the Administrator group in Windows; and b) I ran the editrights commands just in case. Same deal. "CYGWIN sshd service could not be started".

Oddly, "groups cyg_server" returns "None root" -- cygwin doesn't think it's in the administrator group.

thanks for your thoughts ... any further suggestions?

The mmc "Event viewer" under the label System should give you more information about the offending service. If you installed cygwin and then created the user cyg_server, then you should check if it's available in /etc/passwd (most probably it's there). Can you start the process by issuing the command '/usr/sbin/sshd'?

Please don't attempt this if you don't know what you're doing. You can't start sshd from a normal command line without causing problems for the service unless you start it from a window that's owned by cyg_server. If you don't know what I'm talking about and can't figure it out by looking in the archives and/or googling, then I recommend you don't try starting 'sshd' directly.

-- Larry