postgres initdb: error while loading shared libraries: ?

Hi all,

I've had several students report difficulties installing postgresql under cygwin yesterday and today. They are starting with a brand new cygwin install, with the following packages beyond the defaults:
o cygrunsrv: NT/W2K service initiator
o libxml2: GNOME XML library
o postgresql: PostgreSQL Data Base Management System
o postgresql-client: Front-end programs for PostgreSQL
o postgresql-dev: Development files for PostgreSQL
o python: Python language interpreter
o sqlite3: An embeddable SQL database engine
o wget: Utility to retrieve files from the WWW via FTP and HTTP

They're instructed to run / usr/bin/cygserver-config from an administrator mintty, and then to follow the "easy impatient" instructions in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-8.2.11.README

The error message is:
$ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
/usr/sbin/initdb.exe: error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any ideas? I can't reproduce it on my own machine. Running cygcheck on /usr/sbin/initdb give very normal-looking results, and BLODA checks are coming up empty. Is there something obviously wrong in my instructions? Or should I have them send their cygcheck output and let folks on the list try to diagnose the problem?

Thanks,
Ryan