Conflated ping issues

Hi. I have three machines that all run Win 7 x64 and all have updated
Cygwin installs. I thought I installed them all the same, but I'm
getting two differences, both centered around the ping command.

Machine 1 doesn't have /usr/bin/ping.exe, so it uses Windows PING.EXE:
> which ping
/cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/ping
I type "ping" and it runs PING.EXE and succeeds.
Machine 2 had /usr/bin/ping.exe, but when I run it I get
ping: socket: operation not permitted.
So I found a thread about that not working unless you have admin
priviliges, so I deleted /usr/bin/ping.exe in favor of Windows
PING.EXE and rehashed.
However, on this machine it doesn't map "ping" to "PING", like it does
on the other machine. If I type "PING" it successfully runs Windows
PING.
Machine 3 has /usr/bin/ping.exe and when I type "ping" it runs it
successfully. I didn't do anything special when launching mintty or
tcsh to put it in administrator mode.

I am an administrator on all three machines.
a) What makes one machine case insensitive to DOS commands and the
other sensitive?
b) What makes one machine succeed with Cygwin ping and the other not,
when I'm an admin on both?

Thanks,
Dave