Re: X windows problems

On 20/12/2012 10:46 AM, George Barrick wrote:
Re: X windows problems

2012.12.20.17:45:35 UT

Hi Art,

      I installed Cygwin earlier this year on
the laptop computer of one of my students.  I
typically use a rather barebones configuration
where I have XWin running in the multiwindow
mode.  I use Cygwin in order to get tex-live
and GNU Octave running on my crappy WinXP
workstation at the college where I work.  I
believe that the installation I did on the
laptop still works.

     The notes that I made for myself when I
did the Win7 installation on the laptop were:

1) definitely disable UAC (User Access Control).
      The UAC ruins your ability to start up
      Cygwin and XWin.
In what way did UAC prevent you from running X? I've never had trouble with it (Windows 7 user).

Ryan