Re: Creating CD of installation packages: Download incomplete. Try again?

Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 07:31:48PM +0000, Paul wrote:
> >Robert Pendell writes:
> >>It isn't obsolete.  All obsolete packages get assigned to _obsolete
> >>group.  _autorebase is assigned to _PostInstallLast and is still an
> >>active group.  It is likely hidden by default to minimize confusion.
> >
> >I searched http://cygwin.com/setup.html and http://cygwin.com/packages
> >for mention of package "groups", _obsolete, and _PostInstallLast.
> >Couldn't anything.  Are such details available to noncontributors?  Can
> >I also assume that "_update-info-dir 01088-1" is not obsolete?
>
> Unsurprisingly, and as correctly asserted above, you can assume that a
> package is only obsolete when it is specifically marked as obsolete.
>
> There are some categories and packages which are used internally by
> setup.exe.  If you truly want to understand what they do then inspect
> their contents and read the setup source.

>From the context, I believe that groups like _obsolete and _PostInstallLast are
some of these internally used categories.  I am not able to dig deeper into
their use at the moment.  I was just wondering how best to use this information
about those groups provided to me to resolve my question.  However, I found that
simply doing a package search seems to be a good way to determine whether a
package is obsolete.  It's nice to know that I can delve into the setup source
if I wanted to go deeper.  Thanks.