Re: Domain User getting "Permission Denied" for anything outside of /home/<user>/

> On 11/2/2012 12:41 PM, Cameron Gunnin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been struggling with this for the past week to no avail. As the
> > title suggests, if I am logged in under a user that is not the user
> > who installed Cygwin (regardless of the user's windows permissions),
> > then I cannot modify near anything outside of /home/<user>/. Here's
> > what I'm trying to get working.
> >
> > 1a) Install Cygwin as a Local Administrator. Run "mkpasswd -l >
> > /etc/passwd" and "mkgroup -l > /etc/group"
>
> Why are you running mkpasswd and mkgroup yourself? passwd-grp.sh
> postinstall script runs this for you, including adding a '-c'
> flag to pick up the local user.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see (nor can find) a
passwd-grp.sh script. I searched the entire Cygwin folder and did not
find it. A brief search on the cygwin site didn't turn anything up
either. Could you point me in the right direction?

> > OR (I would prefer 1a, but 1b is acceptable as well)
> > 1b) Install Cygwin as Domain Administrator. Run "mkpasswd -d >
> > /etc/passwd" and "mkgroup -d > /etc/group"
> >
> > 2) Login as Domain User (has administrative privileges on local
> > machine AND can access the AD).
> > NOTE: At this point, I get the message:
> >
> > Your group is currently "mkpasswd". This indicates that your
> > gid is not in /etc/group and your uid is not in /etc/passwd.
> >
> > The /etc/passwd (and possibly /etc/group) files should be rebuilt.
> > See the man pages for mkpasswd and mkgroup then, for example, run
> >
> > mkpasswd -l [-d] > /etc/passwd
> > mkgroup -l [-d] > /etc/group
> >
> > Note that the -d switch is necessary for domain users.
> >
> > 3) Attempt to run "mkpasswd -d >> /etc/passwd" and "mkgroup -d >> /etc/group"
> > However, I get the message:
> >
> > $ mkpasswd -d >> /etc/passwd
> > -sh: /etc/passwd: Permission Denied
>
> Run it as the local or domain administrator that you used while installing.
>

> --
> Larry

Cygwin is going to eventually be ran by domain users only. The current
process was to install cygwin under the local administrator, run
mkpasswd/mkgroup -l, then image it. When the domain user first logged
on, they would run mkpasswd/mkgroup -d, but it's giving them the error
message above (Permission Denied) to append to the /etc/passwd and
/etc/group files. I was trying to find out why.

Thanks,
- Cameron Gunnin