Re: Command line arguments

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 11/1/2012 10:54 AM, Brian Wilson wrote:
>>
>> I got in the habbit of always using the "{}" (even if they aren't
>> absolutely necessary) to avoid such issues on general principal.
>
> I don't think it's conducive to productivity to constantly type things that
> aren't needed for the simple sake of consistency - especially special
> characters which are by nature harder to type. As they say "a foolish
> consistency is the hobglobin of little minds". I add "syntactic sugar" only
> when required, much like a native English speaker doesn't shy away from
> things like contractions under a habit of always spelling out all words even
> if they aren't absolutely necessary... YMMV.

YMMV when it comes time for maintenance by someone other than the code
creator.  Consistency helps reduce cost and reducing company cost
helps increase my pay check.  Taking a few seconds to use {} to
delimit all variables is priceless in the world of maintenance.  As a
native English (American) speaker, I find myself more than once
expanding contractions to make myself more clear about what I want to
convey.  Contractions for contraction sake is not always a good thing.

--
Earnie