Re: real beginer

On 10/23/2012 06:28 AM, Trixie wrote:
I'm real beginner with cygwin, actually linux and everything related.
But i need to instal and use certain fortran based program. I installed
cygwin and several packages. I'm trying to call certain module and all i get
is
bash: module: command not found
What is "module"? What's it supposed to be? Where did you get it? Where did you install it to?

Execution of scripts/binaries in Cygwin is not very much unlike execution of such commands in Windows cmd. The command name is searched for using the PATH environment variable. The difference really is Windows paths vs POSIX paths. That said, what do you see when you do "echo $PATH" in your bash shell?
I googled it up and i found the solution that i should call
/etc/profile.d/modules.sh before my module. but there is now module.sh in my
/profile.d folder! Did i miss some package to install? What should i do?
Please help! I desperately need to start that program :(((
Later on you mention that "that program" is "BigDFT <http://inac.cea.fr/L_Sim/BigDFT/>". This appears to be a package distributed in source form. So now you have get it and build it. The build instructions mention nothing about Cygwin at all. So, effectively, you're talking about porting this program to Windows in the Cygwin environment. This is a very ambitious project for somebody who admittedly is a real beginner with Cygwin and Linux and everything related. Not impossible but a very, very big thing. The install instructions talk about Fortran (so you'll need to install Fortran on Cygwin if you plan to go further) and using Intel's Fortran compiler as well as a C compiler. This is not a task for beginners unless they are tenacious in their goal of getting this done.

I would highly recommend you contact the developers of BigDFT and ask if they have considered porting it to Cygwin.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
And whose cruel idea was it to put an S in the word Lisp?