Re: Using tar to run backups onto a tape device using cygwin

On Oct 18 07:45, srikant veeraraghavan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to write few backups using the tar command onto a tape
> drive which is zoned to my Windows server.
> The Carts have been loaded on the tapes on which I need to run the backup.
> I found the tape Symbolic name from the Device manager tab. And this is the
> command that I used.
>
> tar -cf \\.\Tape0 /cygdrive/c/StratfordData

No, no, no.  When in Rome, ...

Here's the important link to the User's Guide:
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-posixdevices

Cygwin is a POSIX layer, as such it provides a POSIX view to the
supported devices.  If you use native Windows device names, the
special POSIXy handling of the device won't kick in and you are on
your own.  If you want the entire thing, use the POSIX device name.

Having said that, what you want is either /dev/st0 or /dev/nst0.
Note that st0 and nst0 have a different meaning!

Corinna

Red Hat