Re: /etc/profile

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 10:24:24PM +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
>Daniel Colascione writes:
>> People execute Windows programs using Cygwin all the time. With this
>> change, basic things like "cmd" and "notepad" will fail to work.
>> Working with Windows programs is the *point* of Cygwin. I really don't
>> think this change should go into the default startup scripts.
>
>The change is about giving users a choice.  You can now drop a script
>into profile.d that just does:
>
>PATH="${PATH}:${ORIGINAL_PATH}"
>
>and have exactly the same behaviour as you have now (and David might
>consider installing that by default).  Or you don't and are not bothered
>by the useless stuff corporate IT adds to Windows PATH without even
>checking that it works correctly on Windows, let alone together with
>Cygwin.

If we are changing a longstanding behavior then I agree with Daniel that
this is a bad idea.  You're just asking for people to be confused.

If you want to make it easy to remove the Windows PATH then I guess I
can see why that would be useful but it seems like anyone for whom this
would be an issue would know how to do this anyway so I don't see why we
have to go to great lengths to accommodate anyone who wants this.

cgf