Re: Promote sqlite 3.7.13-1 from test status?

On 8/16/2012 7:08 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> So you're saying that it is more important for Cygwin's sqlite3 to work
> with a Windows program than it is for it to work properly with other
> Cygwin libraries and programs?  That doesn't sound very pragmatic to me.
> Software built for Cygwin should _always_ follow *NIX behaviour.

While I agree with your general point, Yaakov, I don't understand how
the Windows-ish SQLite package does not work properly with other Cygwin
libraries and programs. I suppose if another program tried to get a
POSIXy lock on the SQLite database things would go wrong, but does that
really happen in real life? Can anyone point to an example of the
Windows-ish SQLite package causing a problem in Cygwin, other than
Achim's one report?

If SQLite using Windows locking doesn't break Cygwin programs in real
life, but does break Windows programs that people use in real life (and
not dumb people -- just people that really need/want to use Cygwin and
Windows programs together on the same SQLite database), then is there
really a good pragmatic argument for forcing it to use the POSIX
locking? Maybe there is and I'm not seeing it. Both you and Corrina have
stated there will be problems with other Cygwin programs, but nobody has
mentioned anything specific.

Anyway, that's my $0.02, which is probably not even worth that.

Recursion n.:
        See Recursion.
                -- Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary