Re: Side-by-side configuration is incorrect reported as permission denied

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 11:07:00AM +0200, Pawel Jasinski wrote:
>Hi,
>

>> Cygwin doesn't report Windows error codes.  It reports POSIX ones.  I
>> have no idea why there would be a POSIX error code for side-by-side
>> errors but if there were, then reporting that is more appropriate.
>>

>out of curiosity I have poked into errno.h (as well as man page) on
>linux and linux is easier on its users.
>It uses values defined by POSIX as well as values which make sense in
>context of Linux.
>Would you consider relaxing your policy in respect of error codes and
>POSIX where would it be a benefit for the user?
>
>In this particular case, all situation where errno (or a message) is
>simply reported back to the user would be fine.
>Only code which does errno specific attempts to recover or be clever
>about it would be affected.

Yes, and, what do we do with these "clever" apps?  Tell them that they
are out of luck because we've just pulled the rug out from under them?

>At the moment I my internet access is weak, but once I am at home this
>would be a grep through cygwin packages to find out such a use.

Windows has 15999 error codes.  Linux has ~133.  Some UNIX apps which
recognize errnos rely on being able to index into the "sys_errlist"
array.  This would mean that we would need to set up a sys_errlist
array with all of these error codes, and since we already map a lot
of them, come up with some way to deal with that.

If you can find a nice Linux errno which maps from ERROR_SXS_CANT_GEN_ACTCTX
to something other than EACCES I'd be happy to change Cygwin.  Otherwise,
no, I'm not going to worry about this issue.

cgf