automatically using pipe_byte for certain EXE's

HI

I'm running into the pipe_byte problem while trying to use Visual-Studio's C compiler from inside cygwin.
I'm running latest cygwin (from a few days ago).

Specifically, I'm building LibreOffice on a 64-bit Windows7 box.

Is there any way to trigger the pipe_byte option for certain executables?
I'm trying to avoid having to dig around inside the hugely complex LibreOffice build scripts.

Thanks, Noel Grandin