Re: cygport debug junk

On 2012-07-18 20:26, Ken Brown wrote:
On 7/18/2012 6:53 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
But again, while I can't state this as policy, you really shouldn't be
disabling debuginfo on a widespread or permanent basis.  It's a feature
and it's there for a reason.

I disabled it for my recent texlive release, simply because texlive is so huge already that I didn't want to add to it. Do you think that was the wrong decision?

Note that only the core texlive package will have debuginfo; the texlive-collection-* packages are just data, so there won't be debuginfo information anyway (and cygport only tries to make a debuginfo package where the debuginfo actually exists). And while the texlive source package is huge, the amount of compiled code therein is a small fraction of that, so I don't think the debuginfo package would be really all that large (especially relative to the entire size of TeX).

So I'd say next time you build texlive, go ahead and enable debuginfo, but don't feel that you have to rebuild texlive immediately because of it.

Yaakov