Re: Install Crashes Windows

On 7/16/2012 3:18 AM, Mark Geisert wrote:
Daniel Cowdery writes:
For starters, I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit.
I run the Setup.exe file and select all the extra modules I require (on

Suggestion: First limit yourself to the modules setup.exe installs by default. After that is working, you can always run setup.exe again to pick up the extra modules needed.

top of the default install), the extra modules i install are; bison,
make, automake, libiconv, libtool, python interpreter, gcc, g++, gdb.
The installation progresses all the way through downloading all the files,
then when it seems to be checking all the files it freezes then I get
the windows blue screen of death. When the computer starts up again
there is only the Cygwin libs it downloaded and half the installation in
  my C-Drive. I've tried repeating this installation 4 times now (after
deleting all the old Cygwin files each time). I've disabled my AVG
anti-virus software, and tried a different download mirror each time but
  still no luck.

It's unlikely to be the downloading, but possibly could be something triggered by the post-install scripts. Cygwin is entirely user-space; there are no device drivers or other kernel-level parts to it. User-space code can't crash the system. But there is specific software known to interact badly with Cygwin; we call it BLODA.

This also suggests that if you haven't updated your Windows environment and drivers lately, now would be a good time. It could resolve this problem for you too.

--
Larry