Re: A little annoiance after modifying my .bashrc file to add an alias to edit files

Risposta al messaggio di Larry Hall (Cygwin) :

I'm curious why you query the list for help instead of your original source.

Since, I suppose that the author doesn't know the answer, because I suppose, that if he knew the answer would have written it directly in article. In past I have always asked in this newsgroup for Cygwin related problems, always with good and satisfactory answers, like in this occasion
And asking in newsgroup I could easily save the thread archiving it in TB.

That notwithstanding, the reason you see this is because the alias you found
and are using is wrong.  From the bash man page:

    There is no mechanism for using arguments in the replacement text.  If
    arguments are needed, a shell function should be  used  (see  FUNCTIONS
    below).

The alias you pulled from the web tries to work-around this restriction,
without much success (not surprisingly).  Use a function something like
this:

edit ()
{
     cygstart "/cygdrive/c/Programmi/Crimson\ Editor/cedt.exe" $(cygpath -w
"$*")

Thank you very much Larry for you explanation, it works perfectly
Exactly what I am searching for

Sandro

--
Sto ascoltando: *The Rolling Stones – Salt Of The Earth * - http://bit.ly/MEuiyc
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.