Re: piping input to executable reading from /dev/tty?

Eric Blake wrote:
On 06/20/2012 10:33 AM, Dan B. wrote:
Is there any way to redirect /dev/tty similarly to how stdin can be
redirected (e.g., like "echo ... | someexecutable")?

Yes; use 'expect'.

Does Cygwin (or Unix/Linux, for that matter) have any equivalent way
of redirecting /dev/tty?

Can /dev/tty be redirected at all?  (I would guess that something
could be done with pseudoterminals, but I know very little about
them.)

Yes, 'expect' is the command line tool that lets you script around programs that expect to be run interactively, but where you want to script the input that your program will see.

Does expect use only redirection of file descriptors, or can it also redirect references to /dev/tty?

Daniel