Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost

On 6/13/2012 5:32 PM, richw wrote:

What was I doing? I rebooted the computer.

You're being pedantic. I mean, what program(s) did you run before you noticed Cygwin stopped working, causing you to reboot to fix it?

I believe you are running something that fights with Cygwin somehow, and this other program is the culprit.

I have 11 copies of cygwin1.dll.

There you go. I refer you to the FAQ:

http://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.multiple-copies

I suggest you contact ST and the creators of uMIDI and DCRABBIT and tell them it is *not cool* to be shipping around copies of cygwin1.dll. Aside from being a probable license violation, it results in compatibility problems like you've run into. They should simply be making Cygwin a dependency, then shipping Cygwin packages for you to install into your pre-existing Cygwin installation.

is interesting because I probably downloaded it yesterday. It's
possible I ran some program from that download, but I don't
remember doing so. In the same directory is a file named arm-elf-objcopy.exe
that uses cygwin1.dll, but I have never run it.

Bottom line, this constitutes a competing copy of Cygwin on the same system. You can run one or the other, not both at the same time.

Again, yell at ST about this. Lame or illegal, it matters not. They shouldn't be doing it.