Re: gcc not running properly??

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:45:31AM -0400, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>Over at mingw.org we just say that use of the product is not supported
>unless you use the shell provided by mingw.org.  If you have a
>question about why something isn't working and you are using cmd.exe
>then try sh.exe first before asking for help.  We do not test and
>support other scenarios and your use of other scenarios is at your own
>support.  I see the same being said for cygwin.com but not stated in
>such a manner.

Running Cygwin commands from the Windows command prompt is certainly
supported as long as you aren't trying to use a symlink.  It basically
boils down to "You have to know what you're doing" which is, I think,
What Marco was saying.

In general, if you don't really want to understand how this all hangs
together it's better to use a shell but that certainly isn't an absolute
requirement.  If you're comfortable setting the PATH yourself or can
figure out where cygwin commands live and understand that some commands
are symlinks and will require "ls -l /bin/foo" to figure out a target
then there's no reason not to use the command line.