Re: bad performance when opening many files on Win7

On May  8 13:19, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Achim Gratz <Stromeko <at> NexGo.DE> writes:
> > Fetching all groups from the DC gave me some 60000 entries in a 4MiB group
> > file.  And if anything, things became even slower when using that file.
>
> I finally found some reproduceable case where the lsass.exe process will go
> berserk.  It's all programs that scan all files in /usr/bin... there are 3800
> and there seems to be no caching of any sort going on, so that always takes
> about 20 seconds. :-(
>
> I've scanned the ACL in that directory and these are the principals used:
>
> BUILTIN\Administrators
> BUILTIN\Administrators
> BUILTIN\Users
> BUILTIN\Users
> AD\Domain Users
> AD\Domain Users
> NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
> NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

How did you do that?  The ACLs in the Cygwin default dirs are supposed
to contain only three ACEs, one for the installing user, one for the
local admin group, and one for everyone.  At least that's how setup.exe
installs them.

> I have these in /etc/passwd and/or /etc/group.  I'm probably missing out on:
>
> Everyone
> Everyone
> NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
> NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
>
> How does one get suitable entries for /etc/group on these (I have
> Authentificated Users:S-1-5-11:11: in /etc/group, but nothing that I could map
> to "Everyone")?

You don't.  Everyone is the entry corresponding to POSIX "other".  It's
not actually a group, even if it has a SID.

Btw., my machine and my account are domain members as well.  Obviously
all entries in /usr/bin have an Everyone ACE.  My ls -l takes only about
1.2 secs with > 2200 entries in /usr/bin.

Corinna

Red Hat