Re: 1.7.14-2: bash not accepting "~" (tilde) from keyboard in Console (WIN7)

On 5/7/2012 02:16, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 05/06/2012 05:54 AM, David Sastre Medina wrote:
>> On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 11:43:23PM +0200, Chris Brouwer wrote:
>>> I have just installed Cygwin 1.17.14-2 using the setup.exe.
>>>
>>> I use Console (portable; from Portableapp.Com) as my entry to bash.
>>> I have tried this when calling cygwin.bat from Explorer, effectively
>>> starting cygwin from cmd.exe, and then the "~" works as expected.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a solution for this ?
>> Yes. Just use mintty. It's the default and it works.
> I use mintty and Console. One good thing about Console it understands
> pty's or does something in the face of pty's that cause it to work in
> certain circumstances that mintty fails in. My example is cleartool. In
> mintty (or when mintty has ssh'ed to a remote system - sorry not on my
> work XP machine to test...) when I type cleartool I get no prompt. This
> is a long standing issue with cleartool on Windows using standard
> "console output" and that not working with ptys. Console, however,
> works. IIRC I think I saw it running a child cmd process. So maybe it
> runs things in there and grabs output to be displayed or read from.
>
> I wish mintty could be made to do that...

Console, like the normal Windows Command Prompt does not understand
PTYs, rather, it's the side effect of the PTY emulation you're seeing.

Sounds like your app is doing some line buffering because it thinks the
stdio is done via pipes when working with PTYs. There's nothing to be
done on the Cygwin side to fix this.