Cygwin | Cygwin Compatibility Issue report ID 386608.

Hi Cygwin Support,

I am a Program Manager with the Ecosystem Engineering team at Microsoft.
At Mobile World Congress in February, Microsoft announced the availability of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Please use the resources available at the Windows Development Center and begin testing your applications. For more information on how to verify the compatibility of your applications on Windows 8 Consumer Preview, please refer to the Windows and Windows Server 8 Consumer Preview Compatibility Cookbook.

Our team drives the bug notification activity with our valued Windows partners. This email is to notify you that Cygwin experienced compatibility issue during internal Microsoft testing.
Please review the details provided below with regard to this issue.

Compatibility Issue details:?

Product name: Cygwin

Description of the Problem: Xserver does not load
Detailed Steps to Reproduce the Problem:? ?

1. Click on CygwinX
2. Observe that there is no response
3. Click on Cygwin rxvt
4. Observe that an error is generated in the background

Expected Result: CygwinX and Cygwin rxvt renders successfully.

Actual Result: CygwinX and Cygwin rxvt loads successfully.

Tester/Developer Notes:
??????	Cygwin manually scans ntdll.dll to find the address of the global variable used to access the current working directory. It fails to do this on Windows 8, hence the 	error every time the DLL loads. The error of this function is as follows:
             "find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer".
	Cygwin is taking a direct dependency on a global variable in ntdll.dll which will likely break the app every time the DLL revs.  You should consider using other methods 	to maintain compatibility.

If you are not the appropriate contact for this issue, please connect us with that individual as soon as possible. Please let me know if you have any questions and thank you for your continued engagement with Microsoft.

Best regards,

Anuja Singh
Program Manager
Microsoft PC Ecosystem Engineering
v-anujsi@microsoft.com
REF ID: 386608

This communication is intended to be shared only with the indicated recipient(s).?The information contained in this communication and any attachments to this are confidential and may be subject to copyright or other intellectual property protection. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to use or disclose this information, and we request that you notify us by the response to this communication and delete the original information you have received.?