Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: _autorebase. Call rebaseall after installing new or updated DLLs

On Mar 28 22:50, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > I've added a new package called _autorebase to the Cygwin distro.
> >
> > This package is usually installed and updated automatically.  In the
> > default view of setup.exe you won't even see it.
>
> Thank you very much (even though I'd just added the same functionality
> to my setup batch script).
>
> Minor nit: rebaseall picks up a file with the suffix ".osc" in the texmf
> tree that isn't actually a DLL.

Sure?  Have a look into the rebaseall script:

  DefaultSuffixes='dll|so|oct'
  [...]
  Suffixes="${DefaultSuffixes}"
  [...]
  case $Platform in
    cygwin)
      find /etc/setup -name '*.lst.gz' | xargs gzip -d -c |
	grep -E "\.($Suffixes)\$" |
	sed -e '/cygwin1\.dll$/d' -e '/cyglsa.*\.dll$/d' \
	    -e '/sys-root\/mingw/d' -e 's/^/\//' \
	    -e '/d?ash\.exe$/d' -e '/rebase\.exe$/d' >"${TmpFile}"
      ;;

I don't see how it should be able to pick up a file with the suffix .osc.

> > The purpose of this package is to run rebaseall automatically after any
> > package containing DLLs is updated.
>
> How is that supposed to work, exactly?  There seems to be only a single
> package having _autorebase as a dependency and the _autorebase.bat file
> has been renamed .done after the first installation.

You were using a not quite up-to-date mirror.  THis should be fixed
in the meantime.

_autorebase has a setup.hint file which results in adding itself to
the dependencies for all packages which come with files having the
suffix .dll, .sl, and .oct.  The problem was that the "upset" script
creating the setup.ini file only checks dependencies for newly uploaded
or update packages.  So at first, _autorebase was only added as a
dependency to the only updated package python-crypto.  But when we
realized it, cgf started the upset script from scratch, which is quite
a job and takes a couple of hours.  When I looked yesterday morning
(CEST), lots of dependencies to _autorebase have been added to setup.ini.

But, hmm, looks like there are still dependencies missing.  I don't see
dependencies to _autorebase in a lot of "lib" packages, like libgcc1,
or libopenssl100.

> Also, I think it would be nicer in the long run to have an
> /etc/autorebase.d/ that can be used to drop DLL lists in there that work
> together with the "-T" option of rebase.  That way, packages would
> ultimately become responsible for listing their rebaseable files and
> users (administrators) could drop list with additional DLL that got
> installed without setup.exe.  As long as packages haven't been updated
> to provide those lists, the names could be extracted from /etc/setup,
> like they are currently (I think).

Feel free to participate in further development of the rebase tool.
Patches for useful functionality is always welcome.  The right forum is
the cygwin-apps list.

Corinna

Red Hat