Re: Recent upgrade to wish leads to a problem

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 10:31:54PM -0600, Robert Miles wrote:
>On 3/2/2012 11:43 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>[snip]
>>There is no reason to include m4 as a gcc dependency if you are trying
>>to learn C.  This would not even be a case of a suggestion.  If you
>>needed m4 for some reason (maybe for autoconf/automake) that really
>>would be a case where you need to install m4 separately.  You can use
>>gcc quite happily without having m4 installed.
>>
>>For the record, I don't think Yaakov, Corinna, or I are really
>>interested in spending our time adding some sort of suggestion
>>mechanism to setup.exe.  This would have ramifications both for
>>setup.exe, for the script which updates setup.ini, and for the genini
>>script.  It would likely be a fair amount of work.
>>
>>Given the fact that this has come up repeatedly over the years I am
>>pretty sure that repeated suggestions that setup.exe should be modified
>>to do this are likely not going to have any effect.
>>
>The examples I used for learning C all used #include, and therefore
>required m4 in order to compile.  I believe gcc gave an error message
>in this case showing what was missing, and therefore did not slow down
>the learning process too much.

Sorry but m4 has nothing to do with #include.  I don't doubt that you
saw some error that mentioned m4 but it undoubtedly came from a package
which used m4.  gcc itself does not use m4 to expand #include.  #include
files are expanded by gcc automatically without the help of an external
program like m4.