make producing basename error that can't be captured by "make &> make.out"

Cygwin:

I've already run an earlier version of this through the list to see if I was dealing with pilot error. Its gotten to the point that it was suggested I consult http://cygwin.com/problems.html and submit.

The issue came up when I did a Windows cut-and-paste of a directory in my cygwin home, cd-ed to it, and got a basename error when I ran make. Was able to figure out that make didn't like "Copy\ of\ myStuff" and all I had to do was remove the spaces and everything was happy.

But while trying to debug, I found another issue. The first is that I wanted to trap all output to a file so I could run make -d to see where basename was getting called. So, I used "make -d &> make.out" per #3.6 in http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO-3.html. Everything except the basename error went to the file ... basename still printed to the screen. Tried other variations with no success. That's when it was suggested I do the report.html.

I went through the archives and the closest I found was a 2005 post with a basename error, but it seemed to not cover what I was seeing.

To show the problem:

Create a directory called "myStuff" in one's cygwin home directory. Do a "cd myStuff" and run make. It will say no targets or makefile found. Now, open the cygwin home directory with a Windows "right click Open". Do a Copy and then a Paste of myStuff to get "Copy\ of\ myStuff". Do a cd into that directory and run make. I am getting:
+++
$make
basename: extra operand 'myStuff'
Try 'basename --help' for more information.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
+++

That's the original problem and this test proves that it is nothing in my makefile as there is no makefile, its happening in the execution of make. With make -d, it still is the first thing called before one gets the opening stuff about which version, no warranty, etc..

If I type "make &> make.out", the basename error still goes to the screen and the no target/makefile goes to make.out.

The issue I am reporting is the lack of capturing the basename error to make.out, though I do think basename not being able to understand directories with space(s) is a nuisance worth noting.

Please let me know if there is any other info I can provide (cygcheck attached)
Thanks,
Paul