Re: Change to passwd in cygwin-1.7.10-1 breaks ssh-host-config

On 02/22/2012 05:46 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 2/22/2012 8:31 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
On 2/22/2012 4:11 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
If you're trying for consistency across the board, the prev button is the
closest you're going to get. If you want to back down a package or few, go
to the package list and toggle through the available options until you
find the previous version. I'd recommend this.
I don't think you understand what I mean. First off I don't see a "prev
button". At the top I see toggles that say Keep, Cur and Exp. Did you mean
Keep? I don't think so.

For individual lines there is a "New" column and I'm familiar with the
cycling behavior between things like Keep, Uninstall, Reinstall, Skip and
current and older version numbers. But this is on a by package basis. What
I'm asking for is a button or way to say "Oh this is 1.7.10. I want all of
the Cygwin things that were associated with 1.7.9. Toggle all of the
packages back to their versions that were released when 1.7.9 was released".
Maybe such a beast doesn't exist...

Yup, that's essentially the heart of it.
So I said "Maybe it's this or maybe it's that" and you responded with essentially "yes". Thanks.
You're still very likely better off at least trying the snapshot so that
you and the rest of us know that the issue is resolved and moving forward
is a viable possibility. After that, if you want to try to backup to a
previous version, you can do that with some confidence in the future. :-)
But I didn't hit this problem. Stated differently, when I ran
ssh-host-config months ago it worked just fine.
Sure. And then things changed.
Actually, you normally only run ssh-host-config once so while things might have changed normally I would not see nor care about them. It's because I'm trying to set up a base environment for my client that I've stumbled into this issue.
I guess I could play around going to a snapshot and seeing if
ssh-host-config works (or perhaps just change the passwd -v to passwd -V in
the one script) but I'm trying to establish a known set of working Cygwin
environment right now.

That's fine. I'd recommend either grabbing a new snapshot or installing the test version of csih. Either is supposed to fix the problem. And either is better by most measures than trying to back up or make edits locally.
Actually I believe I am capable of changing a "-v" -> "-V". I've been known to successfully accomplish such difficult feats before! Even with backups! ;-)
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Disinformation is not as good as datinformation.