Re: Change to passwd in cygwin-1.7.10-1 breaks ssh-host-config

On Feb 9 01:09, Charles Wilson wrote:
On Feb 8 13:12, Tom Schutter wrote:
It appears that the "-v" option to passwd was changed to "-V" in
cygwin-1.7.10.1.  This indirectly breaks the ssh-host-config script.
The actual breakage is in the csih script.
[...]
$ grep "passwd -v" /usr/share/csih/cygwin-service-installation-helper.sh
         passwd_has_expiry_flags=$(passwd -v | /usr/bin/awk '/^passwd
/{print ( $3>=
1.5 ) ? "yes" : "no";}')
Chuck, can we please remove this test in csih amd release a new version
ASAP?  The expiry stuff is from 2003 so we can safely assume its
existence.
Especially as csih-0.9.x requires cygwin-1.7.

I've uploaded a csih-0.9.5-1 as a 'test' release. Changes:

* native/Makefile: Avoid -mno-cygwin and gcc3; use mingw cross compiler.
* native/winProductName.c (GetOSDisplayString): Support
   Windows 8 and Windows Server 8. Improve support for various
   Microsoft OS products.
* New functions csih_is_windows8(), csih_is_exactly_windows8(),
   and csih_is_exactly_windows8server().
* In csih_account_has_necessary_privileges(), no longer attempt to
   validate membership in Administrators group -- the test doesn't
   work properly on domains anyway. Just try to set the necessary
   rights and report error if the operation fails. Reported by
   Corinna Vinschen.
* In csih_create_privileged_user(), don't attempt to check whether
   /usr/bin/passwd has the -e option; all versions of passwd shipped
   with cygwin-1.7.x support it. Reported by Tom Schutter.
* Fixed bug related to the various existing csih_is_exactly_*
   functions.
Cool, thanks.  Additionally I added the -v option back to passwd so
that older csih scripts don't fail either for that reason.  It's
not visible in the usage but passwd diligently prints the version
information.  I've just generated a snapshot which contains this
change.  See the latest snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
What's the status of this? I saw this error too but I assumed it was because the machine I was on had two different versions of Cygwin. Checking my personal machine, on which I only have one version of Cygwin - 1.7.10, I have the call to passwd -v in /usr/share/csih/cygwin-service-installation-helper.sh. Also:

$ cygcheck -c csih
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
csih                 0.9.4-1        OK
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Deja Fu: The feeling that you've screwed this up before.