Re: base-files 4.0-9: LANG is set to the system default, why not the user selection?

Peter Rosin skrev 2012-02-16 06:52:
> David Sastre Medina skrev 2012-02-15 23:14:
>> The files under /etc/profile.d are sourced by /etc/profile, which sets
>> system wide settings.
>> For user-defined values, the place to override a system-wide setting
>> depends on the shell you're using. E.g., for bash, it would be
>> ~/.bash_profile. Check /etc/skel/.bash_profile. It should include
>> these lines:
>>
>> # Set user-defined locale
>> export LANG=$(locale -uU)
>>
>> Probably you have a customized ~/.bash_profile, so updating to
>> base-files-4.0-9 didn't replace it.
>>

> Hmmm, ok, that doesn't completely match what I'm seeing in my $HOME, my
> .bash_profile *looks* (who am I to tell, it's attached) unmodified from
> 4.0-6, so just a quick question, what postinstall script is responsible
> for moving the updated skel files into $HOME?  I couldn't find any, but
> admittedly didn't spend much time looking...

I located base-files-4.0-6.tar.bz2 and my copy in $HOME is indeed not
modified.  So, your assertion that customization was preventing the
update seems wrong (the date of my .bash_profile is consistent with my
original Cygwin installation date).  I question whether the skel files
are automatically copied to the home directory at any other time than
at home directory creation.  Are they?

Cheers,
Peter

PS. I have modified ~/.bashrc and ~/.inputrc, if that is relevant.