Re: ATTN pbzip2 maintainer

On Feb  8 19:23, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Feb  8 07:44, Hans Horn wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > using newest cygwin
> > (CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 1.7.10(0.259/5/3) 2012-02-05 12:36 i686 Cygwin)
> >
> > invoking pbzip2 to unpack a large bz2 archive gives:
> >
> > pbzip2: *ERROR: fileWriter:  pthread_cond_timedwait() call invalid
> > [pret=22].  This machine
> >          does not have compatible pthreads library.  Aborting.
> > Terminator thread: premature exit requested - quitting...
> > pbzip2:  *INFO: Deletion of output file succeeded.
> >
> > pbzip2 --version:
> > Parallel BZIP2 v1.1.5 - by: Jeff Gilchrist [http://compression.ca]
> > [Jul. 16, 2011]               (uses libbzip2 by Julian Seward)
> > Major contributions: Yavor Nikolov <nikolov.javor+pbzip2@gmail.com>
> >

> > I guess it needs rebuilding and/or to be updated to the latest
> > version (v1.1.6+)
>
> No, that's not the problem.  Apparently the introduction of per-thread
> CPU-time clocks broke this application.  The clock changes introduce
> new members in the datastructures which in turn change the layout and
> the size of these datastrucutures.  In theory this should be under
> the hood and the applikation doesn't know about this, but somehow...
>
> I'll have a look with a debugger after dinner.

It turned out that the new clock_id member of pthread_cond_t was
potentially accessed before the pthread_cond_t variable was initialized.
I applied a patch to CVS which should fix this problem.  Please give the
next developer snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ a try.

Thanks for the report,
Corinna

Red Hat