Re: ATTN pbzip2 maintainer

On Feb  8 07:44, Hans Horn wrote:
> Folks,
>
> using newest cygwin
> (CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 1.7.10(0.259/5/3) 2012-02-05 12:36 i686 Cygwin)
>
> invoking pbzip2 to unpack a large bz2 archive gives:
>
> pbzip2: *ERROR: fileWriter:  pthread_cond_timedwait() call invalid
> [pret=22].  This machine
>          does not have compatible pthreads library.  Aborting.
> Terminator thread: premature exit requested - quitting...
> pbzip2:  *INFO: Deletion of output file succeeded.
>
> pbzip2 --version:
> Parallel BZIP2 v1.1.5 - by: Jeff Gilchrist [http://compression.ca]
> [Jul. 16, 2011]               (uses libbzip2 by Julian Seward)
> Major contributions: Yavor Nikolov <nikolov.javor+pbzip2@gmail.com>
>

> I guess it needs rebuilding and/or to be updated to the latest
> version (v1.1.6+)

No, that's not the problem.  Apparently the introduction of per-thread
CPU-time clocks broke this application.  The clock changes introduce
new members in the datastructures which in turn change the layout and
the size of these datastrucutures.  In theory this should be under
the hood and the applikation doesn't know about this, but somehow...

I'll have a look with a debugger after dinner.

Corinna

Red Hat