Re: YA call for snapshot testing

On 1/25/2012 1:58 PM, Kevin Layer wrote:
Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:03:05PM -0800, Kevin Layer wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

This problem is killing me.  I'm currently looking msysgit + GnuWin32
because I just can't take the crashes of bash.exe and git.exe anymore.
In my testing, so far, I've never seen msysgit or the bash that comes
with it crash.  Why is it that cygwin has this problem but msysgit
does not?  It's an honest question and I'm not trying to be
provocative.  I've been a cygwin user since before Red Hat acquired
them, and the above statement makes me really sad.
Have you tried running rebaseall?
Absolutely.  After updating cygwin, I reboot and run rebaseall -v
first thing.
FYI, as far as I can tell the stack trace that you provided did not seem
to come from the 20120123 snapshot.
OK, I didn't have the snapshot installed.  It was the 1.7.9 dll.  I
had copied it in, then found I couldn't start bash, backed out the
change, and rebooted, but I guess I forgot to redo it.

I just installed it and did some testing, and it seems to be working
OK.

I'll report back if I see another crash.  I just ran this test, in
parallel on 4 different source trees (each composed of 52 repos):
   git fetch origin
   git rebase origin/master
   git status

and not a single crash.  It's usually good for 3-5 crashes, if I do
them in parallel like that.

Fingers crossed.

NOTE: I run with CYGWIN="nodosfilewarning proc_retry:1" because I run
a lot of non-cygwin software from shell scripts, and during testing,
that can take 10's of minutes, I can't afford to have those programs
restarted if they crash on exit.  Before setting proc_retry:1, I once
saw a loop of a 30 minute test run that went on for 10+ iterations.

It would be really nice if you could apply proc_retry to cygwin
programs only.  Would that be possible?  Then, I could remove that
setting from CYGWIN and life would probably be better for me.

Are you able to put that CYGWIN setting inside the shell scripts that
need it, and therefore not have it apply to any other scripts?