Re: Putty and pre-shared keys with Cygwin's sshd

On 01/21/2012 07:28 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
Well, *I* am using Cygwin SSH and PuTTY. And I've had no issues other than
what I have explained.
One way or another, back or forth, to my Linux box, or from it, from my
Windows box to any imaginable server around the globe - no problem.
The scenario here is going from one Windows box using PuTTY to another Windows box using OpenSSH in Cygwin.
Using puttygen to create new keys, or converting keys from OpenSSH to
PuTTY, or the other way around to use for Cygwin's ssh in test box.
It just works. Exactly as described in PuTTY help file, chapter 8.2.
I'm glad it's working for you, I wish it were working for me.

You mention "converting keys from OpenSSH to PuTTY, or the other way around". What is this conversion process that you speak of? How do you convert a PuTTY key to an OpenSSH key? Because so far nobody's mentioned where in this process I need to convert between the two.
Check Windows event log. Though, it's obvious.
Also keep an eye on nearby discussion regarding SSHD issues. It may be your
case too.
I will check when I get back into work (don't run Windows nor PuTTY at home to check things) but I thought Cygwin's sshd logs to /var/log/sshd.log. Otherwise why would I have a file there at all?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Indecision is the key to flexibility.