Re: Putty and pre-shared keys with Cygwin's sshd

On 01/21/2012 12:34 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
Ok, now we're talking. There's indeed a tricky part involved, let me try to cover it for you. On puttygen part, it seems you did it right. (Though, saving public key part is only required for ssh servers compliant with RFC4716.) On connection part... seems like you've supplied the right login name... On server part... First. Make sure your ssh server is configured to allow DSA keys. RSA keys are more common, as I've discovered.
Let's remain focused. As the subject states, the "server" is Cygwin, running on my laptop. All I use is DSA myself. I can ssh to other Unix/Linux systems. They can ssh to me using preshared key. I can ssh to local host too. *I* use ssh, Cygwin's ssh and preshared keys. *Others* often don't use Cygwin and/or don't have OpenSSH installed and say "I have putty". I'm trying to help them. If it were me I'd just install Cygwin and OpenSSH and be done with it.
And sometimes servers configured to disallow DSA key authentication, even if they are offering DSA key themselves. Second, double-check server log for reason to refuse the key. The top (IMO) reason to refuse key authentication is wrong access mask on ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file. It must not be group- or world-writable.
Well I checked my /var/log/sshd.log on my Cygwin laptop and it was of 0 length. Even tried to reproduce the problem, got the same error but /var/log/sshd.log remains empty.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
A preposition must never be used to end a sentence with.