fifo rewrite for Google Summer of Code project

Last spring we tried to port our SIMPL project code to Cygwin but fell
acropper of the known fifo issues in Cygwin.    We haven't been able to find
expertise to contribute to a rewrite of the fifo functionality.

I would like to nominate the cygwin fifo rewrite for a Google Summer of Code
2012 project.   Hopefully the deadline hasn't passed.

bob