Re: 1.7.9: zsh, "unexpected end of file"

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011, Thomas Hafner wrote:

Hello,

Greetings, Thomas, (sorry for the late reply)

could zsh be repaired such that it behaves successfully like bash?
Here goes the problem description.

1. In shell /usr/bin/zsh-4.3.12.exe:
 gunzip < r1s.gz > r1s
 - Expected: unpack to r1s
 - Observed: command fails with output "gzip: stdin: unexpected end of
   file"
2. However this works:
 gunzip r1s.gz
3. If I repeat 1. with bash rather than zsh, it works.

The file r1s.gz can be get there http://tinyurl.com/bs7kefh .

Most curious. I can repro your symptoms. However, the following combinations do work:

  cat r1s.gz | gunzip > r1s
  zcat r1s.gz > r1s

It seems only directly re-directing stdin fails.

Hmm...there's something rather strange about this specific .gz file of
yours.  I'll have to analyse it a little more to determine what's going
on.  On a guess, I'd say there's a control sequence in it that's tickling
the I/O handler in some interesting way.

How, exactly, (if I may ask), did you create this file?
It looks like random noise to me.

Regards
 Thomas Hafner

-- Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com> "Cats are just autistic Dogs" -- Dr. Tony Attwood