Re: Understanding versions of apps in cygwin suite

marco atzeri <marco.atzeri <at> gmail.com> writes:
> On 12/3/2011 5:26 AM, Andrew Hancock wrote:
>> According to
>> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=30309 , a bug
>> with octave's wavread function was fixed in octave 3.2.3.  My
>> "cygcheck -cvs" shows an octave of 3.4.2, but I still get the bug.
>> I was wondering if it is wise to assume that the app version number
>> from cygcheck is the same as the version number from the gnu site?
>
> in general the cygwin packages are aligned with upstream versions,
> eventually with additional patches.  Octave package 3.4.2-3 is
> aligned with upstream 3.4.2.
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00001.html
>
> I guess you have some problem on your octave package, and you can
> also check the version with:
>
> $ /usr/bin/octave --version
> GNU Octave, version 3.4.2
>
> and on my system:
>
> octave:2> Y = wavread("oddchunk.wav")
>
> is working fine as expected.  If you have problem with a different
> example file, than please rise the problem on octave bug system or
> send me by private mail your file, and I will check against the
> development build.
>
> If your version is not 3.4.2-3, close all cygwin programs and
> re-install octave.

Thanks, Marco.  I posted on another thread asking whether it was wise to update
Octave without updating the cygwin DLL.  Updating the cygwin DLL using Setup is
actually downgrading, since I currently use a snapshot of the cygwin DLL to get
around a problem with creating files/folders on a network drive (unrelated to
Octave).

Since I am unclear about the interactions between the packages and the cygwin
DLL, I have been trying to avoid updates to cygwin and packages until a new
release.  However, I will do it if all other ways of poking and prodding a
problem are exhausted.  One of the poking/prodding I want to do is check octave
release notes.  I haven't been able to find an archive of release notes for
various octave versions and subversions, but I did find the savannah bug
tracking system.  It doesn't help determine the incremental changes from version
3.4.2-1 (what I have) and 3.4.2-3.  Finding your postings on the cygwin mailing
list archive indicates that the changes are not related to wavread, but as you
say, it might be my particular circumstance -- especially since the bug was
apparently fixed in 3.2.3.

I'll take you up on your offer to email you the file.  It is a 23KB file that is
a truncation of drum beat track 428 available at
http://www.instructables.com/id/Drum-Beats-in-Audacity.  Thanks.