Re: Will win32 style paths ever work in mksh on cygwin?

Hi All,

I am the mksh maintainer for Cygwin...

On 1 December 2011 11:30, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Are there any plans to make mksh on cygwin win32-path aware, or will
>> mksh on cygwin support only POSIX?
>
> You have to ask mksh author(s).

I work closely with Thorsten Glaser, who is the mksh author.  His
position is that mksh behaviour should remain consistent across
platforms, as such his expectation is that any scripts run via mksh be
POSIX path compliant (this has come up in the past).

>> If it remains to be POSIX only, and pdksh apparently gone from the list
>> of shells, is the only alternative to rewrite all existing ksh scripts
>> that might use win32 style paths?
>
> The last trend in *NIX society, that I noticed, is to write portable scripts.
> Which means, they should work with /bin/sh. (The base POSIX shell implementation.)

Fundamentally, Cygwin has been pushing the use of POSIX paths for
quite some time (in fact it warns you when it encounters a DOS /
Windows path).  As has been pointed out, many Cygwin utilities support
DOS / Windows paths (likely for historical reasons I suspect), but
mksh will not.

Not the answer you were hoping for I'm sure, but it is where we are at
right now.

Cheers,

Chris

--