Shell script - is this expected behaviour?

If I have a shell script which reads a file which does not have an end
of line character at the end if it's only line, it does not read
anything.

For example:
,----
| #!/bin/sh
|
| fileName="test.xml"
| retVal="Z"
|
| exec 10<&0
| exec < $fileName
| while read configLine
| do
|     retVal="A"
| done
| exec 0<&10 10<&-
|
| echo $retVal
|
| exit 0
`----

If it's expected behaviour, what's the workaround?

--
Gary        Please do NOT send me 'courtesy' replies off-list.