Re: gdb broken inside emacs (again? still?)

On 11/9/2011 4:44 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
Hi all,

Attempting to run gdb inside emacs with an executable file name argument
(with or without --annotate=3) causes it to seg fault (no surprise,
known issue). Running just `gdb' from emacs allows it to initialize, but
attempts to load a file or indeed perform any command hang until a
double-^C cancels the attempt (reporting "C-c C-cquit"). Ironically,
even `quit' hangs, so you have to use ^D to exit. Debugging anything
within emacs is thus completely impossible at this time. I've tried with
a home-compiled gdb (same version) with no better luck. I'm building an
emacs-23 from scratch, but I'm pretty sure I've already tried that
before, without any conclusive improvement.

I know this has come up before, and that it has been "resolved" before
for me and for others, but it keeps recurring (usually whenever I
actually need to debug something) and I can't find any reliable way to
make the problem go away.

Do the latest snapshots contain changes which should fix the problem?

I'm on an win7-64 system, running the 13 Oct dll snapshot, after a
rebaseall. Relevant package versions are below (setup.exe doesn't
advertize any newer ones):
binutils 2.22.51-1
gcc4 4.5.3-3
gcc4-core 4.5.3-3
gcc4-g++ 4.5.3-3
gcc4-java 4.5.3-3
gdb 7.3.50-2
emacs 23.3-3
emacs-X11 23.3-3

cgf has already stated that this will be fixed in the next release of gdb; see

In the meantime, can't you use gdb 7.3.50-1? If you also have problems with that release, please send detailed instructions for reproducing the problem (starting with emacs -Q).

Ken

P.S. If you're building your own emacs and using a Cygwin snapshot, you'll need to apply my patch to fix the memory allocation problem that we discussed a few months ago. You can get this by using setup.exe to download the source for emacs-23.3-3.