Re: Can't get sshd to work

Jeremy Bopp-3 wrote:

> On 11/4/2011 08:58, gabier wrote:
>> Ken Brown-6 wrote:

>>> Did you run /usr/bin/ssh-host-config ?
>>
>> No, I had not. I did not know I had to.
>> Well, I ran it, but it asks me if I want privileged separation or not. I
>> searched a little on internet to know what this is. It seems a good
>> architecture, but I am feared that being rather new it introduces new
>> problems. Does it work well now  and is there a manual or how to in this
>> context ? If I choose NO, is it dangerous but more simple ?
>
> Privilege separation has been around for years now, so there's no risk
> with using it, really.  Unless you know better, you should take all the
> defaults provided by ssh-host-config.  You can always run it again later
> to change something.
>
> -Jeremy
>
> --

Thanks Ken and Jeremy
I took the default, it went on without error, and at last I could start my
sshd service on windows 7 without immediate abortion.
As a first test I issued a scp command from the freebsd server as follows
(first, login and second scp command asking to transfer "testfile.txt" from
the windows computer at 192.168.1.103 to the freenas server.

$ssh gabriel@freennas
Password etc... Welcome... OK
$scp gabriel@192.168.1.103:/cygdrive/E/gabriel/testfile.txt
~/gabriel/testfile.txt

Now the connection is established but there is a password problem

Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).

The 2 users who communicate have the same name gabriel and the same
password, but this password is denied. Is this a known problem  and how can
I debug it.