Re: Can't get sshd to work

On 11/4/2011 8:17 AM, gabier wrote:

Hi everybody, First post here, I am a Cygwin newbie. I try to implement ssh connectivity between my Windows 7 desktop and a FreeBSD/FreeNAS server. Openssh shell commands seem to work, but sshd is not running and thus network commands issued from the server abort because of connection refused. The sshd windows service is automatically started at windows startup, but it is not running. If I start the service by Windows command, it starts and stops immediately (Windows saying).

If I start it at the command line with ssh I tried 2 ways

$ /usr/sbin/sshd.exe
/etc/sshd_config: No such file or directory

$cygrunsrv  --start sshd
cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: OpenService:  Win32 error 5:
AccÃs refusÃ.

I searched this forum but I am lost in the variety of parameters and reasons
of not working, as well as different versions.
In fact I downloaded the cygwin setup, and installed the default packages,
and afterwards I installed the openssh package (5.9).
What is to be done in order to debug this problem ? Is sshd simply lacking a
sshd_config file ? Then how to build it ?

Did you run /usr/bin/ssh-host-config ?

Ken